Although it's relatively unknown in the USA, Lemon Myrtle has been used by the indigenous people of Australia for thousands of years - as a bush food, a medicine - and for its amazing skin benefits.
What is lemon myrtle?
Often described as smelling more "lemony" than a lemon, Lemon Myrtle has powerful antibacterial, antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal properties due to its high citral content. It's packed full of minerals like calcium, zinc and magnesium, as well as vitamins A and E.
Lemon Myrtle is distilled from the leaves of the Backhousia citiodora tree and has been shown to work wonders for men with oily skin or those prone to breakouts due to its oil control properties.
Top 22 uses for Lemon Myrtle oil
- Prevents acne breakouts by balancing the oil levels in your skin
- Reduces skin irritation due to anti-inflammatory properties
- Heals skin infections by destroying bacterias and stopping them from spreading
- Shrinks pores and prevents them from getting infected
- Fights fungus caused issues
- Reduces cold sores
- Prevents the production of free radicals that damage our body's cells due to antixodiant properties
- Powerful antimicrobial properties due to citral (lemon myrtle contains highest natural source of citral)
- Fresh and invigorating scent helps get rid of bad body odor
- Alleviates headache
- Relieves stress
- Uplifts mood & helps with depression
- If massaged into joints, it can ease symptoms of arthritis
- Minimizes throat, gum and tooth infections
- When added to steaming water, it's known to help with asthma
- Helps treat flu symptoms due to anti-viral properties
- Promotes more peaceful sleep
- When added to any lotion, it can act as an insect repellent
- Good source of lutein, which helps with eye health
- Vegan source of calcium
- Helps in the repair of tissue in the body due to the high levels of Vitamin C
- Helps muscle regrowth by aiding iron absorption into the body
We use lemon myrtle in our face and body cleanser - our powerful natural formula removes oil and other pollutants from your skin without drying it like soap can.