In your 20s, your goal is to preserve and protect your skin. You need to keep your skin clear, fight the occasional breakouts and begin your fight against anti-aging.
Now is a perfect time - when you turn 20, your body's collagen production (the protein that gives your skin elasticity) slows down - in your 20s, your body produces about 1% less collagen each year).
Your skin's natural exfoliation process also decreases, meaning your dead skin cells stick together for longer.
Without a solid skincare routine, you may start to see signs of aging (yes, wrinkles!) as you approach the big 3-0.
The good news is, you've got age on your side, and starting with a simple men's skincare routine now will help you slow down the visible signs of aging. Trust us - your future self will thank you!
What are the bad ingredients in men's skincare?
Chemicals and artificial fragrances can strip your skin of its natural oil (sebum), leaving it irritated and dry - and dry skin means wrinkles. It's worth noting that the US has only banned 11 skincare chemicals compared to the 1300+ banned for use in the EU.
Always read the packaging thoroughly and make sure you Google any ingredients you don't understand. We strongly recommend you always opt for natural products and that you avoid the following:
- Artificial Fragrance/Parfum
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
What are the best men's skincare ingredients?
The following ingredients will help you preserve and protect your skin:
- Aloe Vera Leaf Juice - nourishes and hydrates your skin.
- ARGIRELINE® - a safer, cheaper, and milder alternative to injections. ARGIRELINE® reduces the depth of wrinkles on your face, especially in the forehead and around your eyes. ARGIRELINE® also stimulates collagen production, further helping to keep your skin smooth and wrinkle-free for improving skin texture and tone
- Shea Butter - a natural anti-inflammatory that soothes, tones and tightens your skin.
- Coconut Oil - softens your skin and helps it retain moisture.
- Kakadu Plum Fruit Extract - is known as the highest source of vitamin C in the world. Reduces aging symptoms (fine lines), supports tone, texture and hydration to the skin and reduces dark circles under your eyes.
- Sweet Orange Peel Oil - antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and makes an ideal ingredient in your skin routine. Sweet Orange Peel Oil is shown to increase your body's ability to absorb vitamin C, increase collagen production, and stimulate blood flow - all of which are essential for anti-aging.
- Allantoin - naturally anti-inflammatory with healing, calming, and nourishing properties that help stimulate the growth of healthy skin cells.
Skincare tips for men in their 20s
- Look for pH-balanced products - pH is the level of acids and bases in your blood at which your body functions best. Maintaining healthy pH levels helps prevent aging and keeps your face clear of irritation.
- Stay hydrated - The Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommends that men drink 101 ounces+ of water per day - a little under 13 cups. All the skincare products in the world won't help you if you've got dehydrated skin.
- Use warm water, not hot - hot water strips your skin of its natural oils, leaving it red, cracked and prone to irritation.
- Ditch the soap - soap gets you clean but it also strips your skin of its natural moisture barrier, leaving you with flaky, scaly and itchy skin. Use a natural, gentle pH-balanced cleanser instead.
- Drying your face? - be gentle - dab your face dry, don't pull, tug and rub at your skin. You risk stretching your skin which makes it prone to sagging, wrinkles and problems later on in life.
Skin care regimen for men in their 20s
Every morning and night, wash your face with a natural, pH-balanced men's face cleanser to remove dirt, oil, and pollutants, reducing the chance of breakouts.
Look for Aloe Vera Leaf Juice - an excellent moisturizer and emollient. It's also a skin soother, healer, repairer and collagen booster.
In place of alcohol, opt for Witch Hazel - a natural anti-bacterial cleanser and Lemon Myrtle - a potent anti-fungal, recognized by the aromatherapy industry for its natural uplifting aroma and freshness.
Also be on the look out for Citric Acid to help break down clogged skin cells, making way for new, healthier cells underneath - and giving your skin a clean, glowing look.
2-3 times a week, apply a natural men's face scrub because as you approach 30, your skin cells take longer to regenerate. If you don't remove dead skin cells regularly, you can find yourself with acne, blackheads, ingrown hairs, pimples and even wrinkles.
Avoid plastic micro-beads at all costs and look for natural exfoliants like finely crushed walnut shells or bamboo powder.
The exfoliation process allows your skin to absorb nutrients, increasing blood circulation - giving your face a radiant, healthy glow.
Finally, follow up with a fast-absorbing natural men's face moisturizer for men to keep your skin hydrated and smooth and minimize fine lines and wrinkles around your eyes and forehead.
Finally - don't do what most men do and leave it til later. Taking the right steps and investing in your skincare regimen now is essential if you want to keep those youthful looks into your 30s, 40s and beyond.
Take action now and set yourself up for success. Trust us, you'll reap the rewards in later life.