So, you cleanse your face every day. You moisturize, you stay hydrated, and you do all the right things, but do you still suffer from dry, dull skin?
The solution may be as simple as adding a face scrub into your routine, which could really help you scrub up well… (Pun intended).
In order to maintain healthy skin, your body is constantly in the process of replacing the outermost layer of skin with new and healthy skin cells.
However, even though the skin eventually sheds on its own, in some guys, this process of skin regeneration can actually cause irritation, flakiness, dullness, and clogged pores.
If these are issues that you deal with, face scrubs might just be your new best friend… they are the perfect solution to all of these issues because they proactively remove those dead skin cells – before they can wreak the above mentioned havoc – leaving your face softer, smoother, and healthier-looking.
Face scrubs or exfoliators?
A face scrub is a skincare product that contains exfoliating particles and is usually cream-based. As the name implies, it is a "mechanical" exfoliator because it removes dead skin cells by actively scrubbing them away.
There are a variety of exfoliating ingredients in face scrubs, such as crystals, micro-fine granules, bamboo powder or particles, and synthetic micro-beads.
On the other hand, an exfoliator gets rid of dead skin cells by using a chemical agent to do the shedding. It's known as a "chemical" exfoliator because it dissolves dead skin cells using enzymes or acids.
Chemical exfoliants remove dead skin cells by breaking down the intercellular glue that holds them together rather than by sloughing them away.
Benefits of using a face scrub
Preparing your skin for shaving with men's face scrubs is one way to achieve a better shave. You'll be able to shave more closely and avoid the irritating side effects that many guys encounter.
And if you use a face scrub regularly, you can say goodbye to ingrown hairs and stop razor burns.
Eliminating residual build-up
While a face wash works wonders at getting rid of superficial build-up, it can’t really dig below the surface to remove the grime that's deep down in your skin.
Because of its unique formula, a face scrub is capable of getting below the surface to remove lingering residue that might ruin your otherwise flawless complexion.
Slowing down aging
Aging is an inevitable part of life, but it doesn't mean you can't slow it down simply by improving your grooming routine!
What you may not know is that face scrubs can smooth out fine lines and wrinkles by stimulating the skin's natural cell turnover process, which has the added benefit of boosting collagen production as well.
This is a great way to prepare your skin for serums and moisturizers later on in your routine.
This one may sound a little strange at first, but bear with us... Investing in your physical self each day via proper grooming practices has a direct influence on how you appear, feel, and move through the world.
With all that has happened in the last couple of years, taking a few minutes in the morning for self-care can have a direct influence on your mental health.
It reinforces the importance of taking care of ourselves and showing up as our best selves every single day.
How to use a men's face scrub
We recommend incorporating a face scrub into your routine about 2-3 times per week, depending on your skin type. Younger men tend to have oilier skin, so they can probably handle a little more scrubbing, whereas men over 40 have a thinner epidermis and should only exfoliate once or twice a week max.
It’s worth playing around with what works for you and your face, so monitor how your skin reacts. In the case of dryness, redness, or irritation, use a gentler face scrub that contains all-natural ingredients.
Top tips for getting the best results out of your face scrub:
- Put a nickel-sized amount of face scrub in the palm of your hand.
- Apply the scrub to both palms before massaging your face and neck with your hands.
- Add some water to your fingertips and gently massage the scrub in small, circular motions for 10-20 seconds before rinsing.
- Now that a lot of the dead skin cells are gone, your skin can easily be damaged when you rub it dry. For this reason, it is best to pat it dry gently with a soft towel.
For best results, focus your efforts on the areas most prone to clogging – such as the forehead, cheeks, temple, chin, neck, and sides of the nose – and do your best to avoid the area around the mouth and the eyes as the skin there is quite delicate.
As a word of advice: Always scrub in gentle, circular motions, without moving or stretching your skin. If it feels like you’re scrubbing your face in every direction, you’re definitely being too rough!
Ingredients to avoid in men's face scrubs
1. Artificial fragrances: Although "fragrance" doesn't sound scary at all, it's a “loophole” term that absolves companies from having to disclose what ingredients they use to make their products smell good. The term 'fragrance' was developed in an ingredients list to protect a company's trade secrets under the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act of 1966.
And while this is terrific for the company, it’s terrible for your skin because these products contain a multitude of chemicals that can cause allergies, hormone disruption, and other more serious health issues, including cardiovascular problems and even cancer.
2. Petroleum: Due to its low cost and moisturizing abilities, petroleum is used in many personal care products. This is bad news for your body because it can disrupt hormones and has been shown to cause cancer.
Not only that, but petroleum creates a barrier on your skin that prevents moisture from getting in – and, even worse, from toxins getting out.
3. Phthalates: These gelling agents bind ingredients that would normally not mix well with each other, typically found in shampoos and other grooming products, to help them adhere to your skin.
The FDA is monitoring these chemicals due to their link to birth defects and hormone disruption. So, when in doubt, keep the phthalates out!
4. Plastic microbeads: These tiny plastic pellets are made of polyethylene and are smaller than 5mm in diameter. They're common in face and body scrubs and can also be absorbed into the body through dermal absorption. If they get into your eyes, they can get stuck under your eyelids and scratch your eyeballs.
Not only that, but continued use of micro-beads can lead to other infections due to the beads causing abrasions, leaving your skin damaged or scarred.
This micro-scarring makes your skin more vulnerable to bacterial attacks and other pollutants, all of which speeds up the aging process.
Ingredients to look for in best men's face scrubs
Now that we’ve told you about the ingredients to avoid in your hunt for the perfect face scrub, we thought we’d give point out the ingredients to look for:
1. Coconut Oil: This wonder ingredient is excellent for repairing damaged skin due to its antioxidant properties. Plus, it is an effective moisturizer that works well with all skin types.
This alternative to mineral oil can provide protection against dryness and skin flaking – and it’s also been shown to delay wrinkles and aging.
2. Aloe Vera: Vitamins A and B, folic acid, enzymes, proteins, amino acids, good fatty acids, and triglycerides all contribute to aloe vera's nourishing and moisturizing properties.
Products containing concentrated amounts of aloe vera help to moisturize your skin while also being effective at treating various skin conditions like acne, eczema, and sunburn.
3. Bamboo powder: This is a highly effective natural exfoliator and anti-acne ingredient that contributes to a healthy and stable microbiome on the skin’s surface.
What that basically means is that bamboo powder is less likely to contribute to irritation or inflammation when the pores secrete toxins and excess sebum.
Here at VITAMAN, we’ve worked hard to create the best natural face scrub for men. We use walnut shells and bamboo powder, which are less harmful than plastic microbeads when it comes to men's exfoliators. Not to mention, these ingredients are better for your skin and the environment, too.
With our pH-balanced scrub, you're not going to experience red, dry, or irritated skin. Our unique formula also includes Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Allantoin, and Vitamin E, along with other plant nutrients to leave you with clean, clear, blemish-free skin!
The ingredients in each of our products are also backed up by hundreds (if not thousands) of years of botanical research stemming from the Australian Outback – and are all-natural, organic, and vegan-certified to boot.
Experience the benefits of our 100% vegan, all-natural face scrub today, and start seeing the difference in your skin!